Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Racing Realism Example

Earlier this month I posted about the ways in which racing game developers chase and strive for realism, by visiting real life tracks and demonstrating their attention to detail in things like development diaries. Well, conveniently, Turn 10 have released two videos for the upcoming Forza Motorsport 4 that are exactly what I was talking about in that post, and below I have embedded them so you can understand my article a little better.

Both of these videos focus on specific tracks, one real (Hockenheim) and the other fictional (The Bernese Alps), and as such don't necessarily cover everything that I was talking about in my post, but they're still a great example so I encourage you to check them out if you think you will find it interesting. Even if you're not into racing games like I am, watching the two videos might still be of interest to you if you find the way studios approach their development of games fascinating in any way -- it's very easy to forget, sometimes, about the amount of effort and passion and creativity that goes into these big, blockbuster videogames, so it is nice to be reminded of such when things like these development diaries come along.

Anyway, here they are.

The Bernese Alps:




Hockenheim:



1 comment:

Jacob Clark said...

It is really interesting to see how much actually goes into a game. A lot of the time I always think of people just sitting on a finished game and waiting for the release date but thats not the case.

What blew me away was the storyboard of why there was a race track in the Alps. Even racing games have to give reason for making a new track by adding an extensive back story.

For me realism has never been my thing, but the videos give you a look into the creation process. Even when you are talking about making a realistic racing game it takes time to deliver the realism that fans want.